Senpiper is realizing the vision of modern enterprise – endeavoring towards a smooth, undemanding plant digitization experience that, while surprisingly affordable, can save as much as 7-10% on operational costs.
How Plants Are Run and The Role of KPIs
The average enterprise of today is, well, large. It has multi-functional plants and interconnected operations, several of which are carried out simultaneously at any given time. The size of the enterprise and the complexity and intricacy of its processes go hand-in-hand. This is no rocket science.
Consequently, running a plant efficiently requires a lot of time, resources, and manpower, and a very common problem faced by those managing industrial operations is how to efficiently do so. If not for a carefully constructed workflow to direct processes from start to end, the chore can in no time become haphazard, counterproductive.
At the other end of the process, industries measure their performances using a parameter known as KPI (Key Performance Indicator). The success of any particular activity is evaluated in accordance with its relevant KPIs. There are standardized KPIs to every genre of tasks. Under facility management, there are six KPIs, each of which is analyzed to derive a measure of performance. These KPIs, in no particular order, are:
- Plant Maintenance
- Compliance and Audit
- Hazard Prevention and Control
- Quality and Output Monitoring
- Industrial Security and Data Privacy
- Truck Management and Logistics Tracking
Where Exactly Does The Problem Lie?
The problem, plain and simple, is plant management. Actually, let’s rephrase that. The problem, plain and simple, is conventional plant management.
The traditional approach to plant-process supervision runs, more or less, along with a manual, pen-and-paper philosophy, often in combination with ERP and Microsoft Excel. We emphasize the phrase more or less.
Management is of two types, broadly speaking: ERP reliant, and non-ERP reliant. The former category houses the majority of plant management processes. The latter is only apt for small businesses with minimal processes; used otherwise, it leads to a colossal disaster class. And yet, even in industries that rely on ERP for management, despite software assistance for keeping records, other aspects of process completion (including such tasks as keeping track of progress, assigning tasks, monitoring outputs, keeping essential data secure, etc.), are tended to manually. Due to manual faults, which are often unavoidable, this essentially equates to a non-streamlined workflow.
This digital to manual shift creates a gap in ERP-based management systems, and to mend this gap with absolute digitization is where we come in. To elaborate, there are three primary ineptitudes in these systems which allow scope for improvement:
- Data is maintained in a siloed ERP system, allowing little to no provision for historical data-tracking, which is an indispensable part of fault prevention and schedule-keeping.
- Manual plan of action, i.e. paper-based, Excel-reliant, manually-fed, isolated systems built for one purpose.
- Action entries and assignments are ad hoc, sans a standard regime, and the jobs assigned are only tracked to completion with much difficulty.
Not to imply that the conventional way is inefficient, but they’re certainly is room for advancement. The approach could be enhanced from corrective to preventive – one that would enable foreseeing tasks, lowering inconsistencies, and avoiding mishaps.
We work towards this end with our Plant Digitization module. Let’s take a look at what the module entails.
What Changes With Senpiper’s Plant Digitization Solution
ERP-reliant maintenance is further bifurcated into Preventive and Breakdown Maintenances. As the name suggests, the first aims at avoiding accidents altogether, as far as possible, while the second comes into play to contain an incident that has already occurred, its aim being damage minimization.
The first off of our digitization agenda at Senpiper is to aim toward Preventive Maintenance. Nonetheless, we deliver value across the six aforementioned KPIs in the form of a mobile-friendly, low-code platform called One Resource.
The newly incorporated system renders companies able to oversee plant dynamics faster and with much more convenience.
Preventive: What changes under this branch of facility processes is that the maintenance goes from corrective to preventive, i.e. whatever issue earlier was first discerned and then tended to, can now, more or less, be prevented from occurring in the first place. This is achieved by means of:
- Automatic schedulers and reminders to keep track of activities that need to be looked into or routinely happen.
- Standard checklist and image capture to auto allocate the tasks based on asset categories.
- Preventive maintenance alerts based on historical trends to preemptively determine the maintenance schedule of assets/facility.
- Asset management and tracking via QR scanning or IoT integration to track warranty expiry, location of assets, etc.
Breakdown Repair: Under breakdown repair, manual reporting and assignment are let go of and everything is carried out over an android platform.
- Work requests over mobile to assign repair tickets to relevant teams in real-time for swift action.
- Work order visibility to view historical data trends and status of work across different categories.
- Seamless planning of shutdowns with provision to create activities, assign tasks and track progress.
Audit and Compliance
We empower industries with seamless auditing for a hundred percent compliance. A number of features have been incorporated to accomplish this feat.
- Automated monitoring – alerts and work requests – over mobile platforms.
- Real-time notification of any kind of violation.
- Standard checklist maintenance for inspection to keep established routine and avoid having to reinspect.
- Integration with devices allows the sharing of real-time data to avoid inconsistencies during audits.
- Auto-generated audit reports shareable with stakeholders over multiple channels.
Hazard Prevention and Control
Efforts have been made to prevent equipment or other hazards so far as possible, and should the endeavor fail, to facilitate swift control of any mishaps. This has been done with the help of the following attributes:
- Incident capture has enabled employees to report to notify the stakeholders of any setback in real-time.
- Near-miss and first-aid incidents tracking.
- Real-time capture of safety breaches; also broadcast provision to alert leadership team on SLA breach of pending actions.
- Ensure safety compliance for production equipment against a standard checklist through continuous monitoring.
- Track safety observations and actions through time and status wise sorted dashboards with trends analysis.
Quality and Output Monitoring
Efficient monitoring of quality and output has been made available to ensure that the best possible value is created.
- Mobile-based tracking of machine output and thus production efficiency.
- Tracking of planned vs. actual production with additional provision to capture defective goods produced.
- Streamlined quality checks owing to real-time parameter assessment with image annotation for operator inspection and patrolling inspection via mobile.
- IoT integration and ETL streaming to build, by getting real-time data from sensors, comprehensive dashboards and analyze trends for the production cycle.
Industrial Security and Data Privacy
A robust feature set to ensure maximum industrial security and data privacy has been included in the application.
- Mobile-based visitor management, to facilitate smooth visits of stakeholders, be it ad hoc or prescheduled.
- Alerts raised on unauthorized access to notify of security breaches.
- Security guard patrolling to capture details and raise work requests.
- Deployment on private cloud to keep data secure, with company-specific authentication to prevent data leakages.
Truck Management and Logistics Tracking
Meticulous truck management and logistics tracking features have been provided to keep track of the number of trucks on the premises at any time and convey information over mobile to reduce reliance on manpower.
- Real-time data presence of the number of trucks entering and exiting the premises at any point in time, and also of the number of registered and unregistered trucks.
- Tracking of truck movement and their status (entry/ docked and idle/ loading/ unloading/ exit).
- Efficient conveyance of information on mobile platforms to ensure security and reduce the manpower involved to maintain security by as much as fifty percent.
All in all, we try to realize near-full plant digitization via One Resource. This significant paradigm shift from manual to digital in the industry has both depth and width to its impact, as you will next see.
We’ll just come out and say it: with our product, you can very well save 7-10% on your operational cost. The following statistics show, on a collective basis, to what extent One Resource has affected companies:
- Foremost, at least a 30% reduction in the number of man-hours, per month, involved in facility management, was achieved. This result was very well aligned with Senpiper’s goals, a significant one of which was to reduce manpower-reliance in-plant facilities. Since most activities could now be recorded and taken care of over mobile phones, manual intervention became redundant and thus witnessed downsizing.
- Three times as many faults were seen to have been logged in the system for facility defects. This was a positive outcome for the firms, and for Senpiper, because it meant that many more faults were being reported now than before when possibly many of them were being ignored or delayed. It also implied that more faults were being seen through to completion.
In other words, this means improved efficiency.
- We noticed, over time, a 20% reduction in safety compliance violations. This was a direct consequence of increased awareness of, and better ways to tackle violations. A greater section of the staff was now careful not to commit safety breaches and to adhere to defined standards. Because violations were now being reported and had repercussions, the personnel at fault owned up to their actions.
While these statistics alone do not do justice to the extent of feasibility and resource-sagacity Senpiper has introduced into the venture of plant process management, they perceptibly add up to an aggregate cost reduction of 7-10%. The range of positive impacts of One Resource on firms is widening, and will soon, at this rate, envelop even the most intricate aspects of industrial operation.
If this written self-acclamation didn’t do much to garner your interest, that’s understandable. Do not believe everything you read on the internet. See for yourself whether we’re worth the homage. Visit our website and request a demo.